Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 2003 14:04:51 -0700
From:      Darren Spruell <darren_spruell@sento.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   USB flash drive mount - da device?

Greetz,

I use a USB pocket drive and am having the hardest time figuring out how
to mount it into the filesystem. Following are what I thought to be
important:

# dmesg |grep da0
da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <Generic Traveling Disk 1.11> Removable Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da0: 650KB/s transfers
da0: 126MB (258048 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 126C)
da0: reading primary partition table: error reading fsbn 0
da0: reading primary partition table: error reading fsbn 0
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): READ(6)/WRITE(6) not supported, increasing
minimum_cmd_size to 10.

# ps auxwww |grep usbd
root      78  0.0  0.2   916  580  ??  Ss   12:03PM   0:00.01 /usr/sbin/usbd

Generally I use the command 'mount -t msdos /dev/rda0s1 /mnt' to mount
this to my filesystem. Sometimes it works, sometimes it fails. When it
does work I can only mount it as root. In order to be able to mount this
as a regular user, do I have to put some flags into a line in
/etc/fstab? What would be the best way to make this drive user mountable?

The other question is, is there a better way to mount up the device or
control it via a usb tool or is the way I am doing it correct?

TIA.

--
Darren Spruell
Sento I.S. Department