Date:      Fri, 20 Jun 2003 13:52:08 +0300
From:      Jim Xochellis <dxoch@escape.gr>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Obtaining ports collection

Hi List,

I have a very slow connection an I want to update the ports collection
of my FreeBSD 4.7(i386) Release box. Somehow I have managed to download
the collection from the
"ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/branches/-current/ports.tar.gz" and
I have expanded it into a new "/usr/ports/" directory, renaming my old
collection to "/usr/ports.bak/" To you think that this "trick" will
actually work, or am I violating some rules? Is the ports collection of
the "current" branch appropriate for my FreeBSD 4.7 box or not? Is
there any other link from  were I should download a more appropriate
ports collection?

Thank you very much for your time
Jim Xochellis