Date:      Sun, 19 Mar 2000 21:13:28 -0500
From:      "Phastnet" <phastnet@bellsouth.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   socks5 help needed

Hi, I have 3.4-RELEASE, setup as a firewall/router (using ipf/ipnat) for a
lan
and a couple incoming modems.. I am trying to get socks5 working for
everyone
to use, but for some reason it only works for the lan, not the incoming
modems..
Whenever someone on a modem tries to use the proxy, it gives Permission
Denied errors on the server.. I have tried at least 20 different configs,
but I can't
get it to work.. When I set it up to use a username/passwd (using
sock5.passwd),
it still allows the lan to use it with no passwd, but I get an Auth Failed
message
on the server whenever a user on a modem tries it.. All machines/modems on
my
network get assigned IP addresses in the 172.20.172.* range.. I've tried
using
commands such as:
auth - - -
permit - - 172.20.172. - - -
and even
permit - - - - - -

with no luck.. The server is considered multihomed, so I tried adding
interface
commands in, but that didn't help either.. If anyone has any ideas on what I
am doing wrong, or could direct me to any other resources that might help,
please please let me know.. Thanks!!

Shawn