Date:      Thu, 16 Aug 2001 17:13:18 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@acadia.ne.mediaone.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Web interface for sendmail.

On 08/16/01 08:43 AM, herlan sat at the `puter and typed:
> On Wed, 15 Aug 2001, Linh Pham wrote:
>
> > On 2001-08-15, Andy Myers scribbled:
> >
> > # I've got sendmail running on my box.  Is there a port available that sets up
> > # a web interface to send and received mail  ...similar to hotmail, etc.?
> >
> > Try SquirrelMail... go to http://www.squirrelmail.org for more
> > information and how to download, compile and install the package.
> >
> > I use it on one of my servers and works fairly well.
>
> may be you can tell me how to use squirrelmail with sendmail
> all i know that squirrelmail works with qmail

Well, the docs are pretty comprehensive (unusually so for an up and
coming project of its kind), and there is an SM mailing list (I'm not
subscribed at this time), but here is the 10 cent rundown:

You need a webserver (preferably Apache, since I know it a little -
install the apache-modssl port)

You need PHP module support (install the mod_php port - having IMAP
would be good, but not critical)

Choose where you will install it and run the install scripts, then
configure it thru the php install page.

I had it installed in my secure virtual host to ensure that all
webmail would be handled on a secure connection.  My IMAP and Apache
servers are on the same machine, so security wasn't a problem on that
end.

Make sure you read the docs and lurk on the mailing list for a while.
It's easily found from the website.

If you have any questions, search the archives - the answer is
probably there, within the last couple months, and not too tough to
find.  If you don't find it with a couple searches, ask on the list.
Luke and Company are pretty forgiving and extremely helpful - I really
can't say anything negative about the help they have provided to
people on the list - myself included.

Pretty much guaranteed, you can be serving webmail within a week of
moderate effort.  Any moderately savvy Apache admin should be able to
do it within a couple-three days, and that's with no PHP knowledge.  I
still haven't a clue what it is (except the acronym - PHP Hypertext
Preprocessor :).  It took me two nights of hacking to get working
relatively well, four to get solid enough to use from anywhere.  I am
currently building my first FreeBSD system to replace my old dying
Linux box, so I haven't had it up for a while, but I will definitely
put it back when I get the core services in place there.

HTH
Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc       leblanc@acadia.ne.mediaone.net