Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 2000 16:55:09 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        groggy@iname.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: losing controlling terminal

groggy@iname.com writes:
> FBSD 3.51
> why is it that when you lose the controlling
> terminal (such as an MS client killing a TELNET window)
> the processes activated by that window on the FBSD server
> keep running - i sometimes see my HD LED light on cuz
> 2 process of "lynx" or somehting are eating up 50% each
> of my CPU time - cuz a user killed their telnet client.

I suspect it's a bug in lynx (or something). It's ignoring HUP signals
and EOFs while doing raw I/O from the terminal, so it sits there
getting an EOF and not being happy about it. Use gcore to get a core
image or use gdb on the process to figure out where it is and what
it's doing. Then fix it :->.

	<mike