Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 2000 08:38:30 -0800
From:      Chameleon <swen@wavefire.com>
To:        "'FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Drew Tomlinson" <drewt@writeme.com>
Subject:   Re: Network Card Troubleshooting (was How To Configure 2nd NIC?)

first thing... do the nics have boot proms in it? if they don't then as far
as i know,
the iomem won't affect anything...
what does ifconfig -a give you?
did you add 'ed1' to your network interfaces in rc.conf?
i recently had a problem with an NE2000 nic in a NEC which had onboard
video and sound
that used most of the irq's...
i got around it somehow by defining the same nic with different irq
settings in the kernel.

Swen

At 10:37 PM 11/9/00, Josh Paetzel wrote:

> > I do have a utility but there is no choice for setting anything like
>iomem.
> > I picked different settings for what they call I/O base address which
> > corresponds to the 0x240 line on ed0 and the 0x260 line on ed1.  I can
>also
> > set the IRQs which I did; ed0=9 & ed1=11.  There are no conflicts AFAIK as
> > self-testing shows both cards working OK.  Do you have any other ideas?
>
>Well, there is a conflict, as the cards are both using the same iomem space.
>They are both mapping memory to the same address space in RAM and therefore
>are overwriting each other.  If there really is no way to change that then
>you will not be able to use the cards together.
>

>  The
> > cards are LinkSys Ether16 LAN cards if that helps.
> >
> > > of a software utility.  Plug and Play has kind of removed us
> > > from the joys
> > > of configuring hardware, but most cards require one or more
> > > irqs, a range of
> >
> > Yeah, I haven't done this for a long time.  Brings back memories.
> >
> > I know I keep saying it but thank you again for your time on this.  I
>really
> > appreciate it and am anxious to take on the task of setting up NAT and
> > filters.  Now if I could just get both interfaces working...  :)
> >

>The pleasure is all mine.  I got a lot of help from the FreeBSD community
>when I was first starting out, and now it's payback time.
>
>Josh

Pobody's Nerfect!