Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 2002 03:49:04 -0500
From:      "Jon Noack" <noackjr@compgeek.com>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?David_Sieb=F6rger?= <drs@rucus.ru.ac.za>, "Mindaugas" <mindugas77@delfi.lt>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: question about FTP

> Of which, the Realtek 8139s are some of the worst.  I've experienced
> just this problem with them on a number of occasions.
I've experienced this with 3Com and Intel cards as well.  I traced it to a
Kingston switch and (in another situation) a Linksys switch, both of which
were supposed to be 10/100 autosensing switches.

> For me, running "ifconfig rl0 media 10baseT/UTP" to force the card to
> 10Mbps half-duplex fixed the problem.  To make the change permanent,
> add "media 10baseT/UTP" to your ifconfig_rl0 line in rc.conf.
This worked in both situations, but changing out the switch (sometimes for
another of the same brand but different model) solved the problem as well.

You get what you pay for...

Jon