Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 96 15:34:51 MET
From:      Greg Lehey <lehey.pad@sni.de>
To:        siegwao6@cti.ecp.fr (BGB)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Changing DNS and gateway

Olivier Siegwart writes:
> Just a stupid question :
> 	My DNS and Gateway have changed their IP address.
> 	How can I reconfigure my network system ?

Assuming that you are relying on a name server on another system, and
that you only have a single gateway, you can do this with the
following two steps:

1.  Changing the name server information.

   Look in the file /etc/resolv.conf, which will look something like:

     ;
     ; BIND data file
     ;
     search          FreeBSD.org cdrom.com
     nameserver      204.216.27.3
     nameserver      131.119.245.5

   Change the address(es) of the name servers to the new values.
   These values will work straight away.

2.  To change the default gateway, look in /etc/sysconfig, where you
    will find something like:

     # Set to the host you'd like set as your default router, or NO for none.
     defaultrouter="204.216.27.1"

   Change the address to indicate your default gateway.  After
   changing the value, you'll have to tell the routing table about the
   change.  You can omit this stage if you intend to reboot.  Enter:

     # route delete default
     # route add default 213.143.91.33

This is a pretty superficial look at things, but it should work in
most cases.

Greg