Date:      Mon, 16 Mar 1998 22:05:03 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue2@welearn.com.au>
To:        paskt@boat.bt.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X.Windows

On Mon, Mar 16, 1998 at 09:07:27AM -0800, Tim Pask wrote:
> Hi there,
> I have successfully set up FREEBSD over the weekend and seem to have run
> the X.Windows setup utility properly as well and saved my config file
> with everything matching my hardware.
>
> Question:
> Does the X.Windows start automatically the next time I reboot or does
> the config file need altering? How do I run it?

Someone will give you a better answer, but typing 'startx' is a start.
Use Ctrl-Alt-Backspace for an emergency exit from X if you need it.
You probably need to find out how to set up a window manager too before X
becomes very useful. I'm too new to help there myself, sorry.

> If I need to edit any configuration files could you suggest an easier to
> use editor than vi.

If your immediate need is to be able to edit files without making it your
life's work, use ee until you want something more. It is not very
sophisticated, but it is easy to use right now without study. If you happen
to use pine for mail you'll have an easy editor called pico which will be
familiar if you've used pine a lot. That's about it for simple editors.

Later you'll want to select an editor with more features and spend time
learning to expoit those features. Most people who don't like vi seem to use
emacs or xemacs. They all require a fair bit of time investment to get used
to, and after that you're hooked and wish everyone else was too :-)

I use joe (from the ports collection) which also has a DOS(/Win) version
that is exactly the same to use. It can be used very simply, or with all its
bells and whistles when you learn its advanced tricks. Not many other people
seem to use joe, but I find it does more than I need. Other editors exist in
this category, so try out some from the ports collection when you're ready.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-

find / -name "*.conf" |more