Date:      Sat, 26 Aug 2000 18:19:11 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@nwlink.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: history of the ports tree

On 25 Aug 2000, at 10:04, Jason C. Wells wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Aug 2000, Dan Langille wrote:
>
> > Did the ports tree originate with FreeBSD?  If not, from where?  Who did
> > the initial work?
>
> Yes I believe. Jordan I believe.
>
> This is just from something I remember reading on the lists a long time
> ago.

I've been looking through the CVS repository.  I've found this:

/usr/ports/Makefile created in Aug 1994
/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk created Aug 1994
Looking at the original ports, they also seem to date back to Aug 1994.
Perhaps that was the start date.

--
Dan Langille
The FreeBSD Diary - http://www.freebsddiary.org/