Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2001 23:38:42 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Tony Wells" <tony@camel.kdsi.net>, "BSD Freak" <bsd-freak@mbox.com.au>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Server Hardware

One trick I do when setting up a hardware raid system is I
always purchase an additional hard disk and duct-tape it,
still unopened in it's anti-static bag, to the inside of
the case.  That way if one of the drives fail you have
the replacement right there which is identical to all other
disks in the array.  I learned this after dealing with
the Mylex hardware raid cards that mandate identical disks,
it really sucks when you have an older server and the drives
aren't available anymore and one dies.  While many hardware raids
today don't have this problem, why give Murphy another
excuse to jerk your chain during an array failure?