Date:      Sat, 18 Jul 1998 10:41:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Spidey <beaupran@JSP.UMontreal.CA>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, Question=answer <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   UNUSED data on HD (was: Re: Melting 2 partitions into 1, again)

I must apologize. This message was first written to Julian Elischer and I
decided to send it to the list to have a better response. I'm sorry if I
confused some people.

First, I must ask another question prior to the others. Could somebody
explain these outputs of fdisk and df?
Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/wd0s2a     31775    16238    12995    56%    /
/dev/wd0s3    1023856   942944    80912    92%    /dos
/dev/wd0s2f   1132103   989859    51676    95%    /usr
/dev/wd0s2e     29727    24393     2956    89%    /var
procfs              4        4        0   100%    /proc
******* Working on device /dev/rwd0 *******
parameters extracted from
in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=839 heads=128 sectors/track=63 (8064 blks/cyl)

parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=839 heads=128 sectors/track=63 (8064 blks/cyl)

Media sector size is 512
Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
Information from DOS bootblock is:
The data for partition 1 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 2 is:
sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 3072384, size 3690312 (1801 Meg), flag 80
        beg: cyl 381/ sector 1/ head 0;
        end: cyl 838/ sector 24/ head 80
The data for partition 3 is:
sysid 6,(Primary 'big' DOS (> 32MB))
    start 8064, size 2048256 (1000 Meg), flag 0
        beg: cyl 1/ sector 1/ head 0;
        end: cyl 254/ sector 63/ head 127
The data for partition 4 is:
<UNUSED>

Few mysterieies:
1) It is said clearly that my FBSD partition is 1801Mb in size. How come
   that the sum of my df numbers is only 1193609Kb (?=1.2Gb)???? I miss
   about 700Mb here!!!!

2) Why isn't fdisk giving the size of <UNUSED> partitions?

2.2) Therefore, how can I identify What are these <UNUSED> partitions? I
know one is 500Mb of free space, but the other????

Now back to my reply...

On Sat, 18 Jul 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Friday, 17 July 1998 at  8:00:44 -0400, Spidey wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I must thank you if haven't already for the help you gave me on partition
> > handling. I know it's been a while but I still need your help.
> >
> > Remember my HD settings?
>
> No.  Do you really expect us to?

...sorry again...

> > 1 GB	DOS
> > 500 MB 	Free
> > 1750 MB FBSD
> >
> > Now I wish to fit in the 500 MB that is before the FBSD. Is it a different
> > procedure?
>
> >From what?

>From adding 500 Mb at the end of fbsd slice

> > If I would try, I would do fdisk to change to starting block, reboot
> > as -s, do disklabel to reflect the changes.
>
> Remember that there are two levels of hierarchy involved here.  So far
> you've been talking about the Microsoft partition table level
> (fdisk/FDISK).  disklabel refers to the structure within one of those
> slices.  If you add stuff at the end, fine, the offsets don't change.
> But if you add the free partition at the beginning, your disklabel
> will point 500 MB further forward on the disk, and won't find the same
> data.

ok.

> There is a way to solve this problem, but it definitely falls into the
> "don't try this at home" category.
>
> 1.  You remove partition 2 and modify partition 3 so that it starts
>     500 MB earlier on *and* is 500 MB longer.

uh? Which partitions are you talking about? Please, remember me: slice=?
partition=? I'm confused (again...)

> 2.  You go into disklabel and add 500 MB to the offsets of each
>     slice.  You may need to be in single-user mode to do this, in
>     which case you may also need to boot from a different system--say,
>     a PicoBSD boot floppy.

Is that the boot floppy from the installation procedure? If not where
could I get it?

> I haven't tried this, and there are multiple opportunities to shoot
> yourself in the foot with this method.  If you do try it, you *must*
> first make a complete backup.  There's a very good chance of losing
> all your data while doing it.
>
> > BTW, once I fitted the new sizes, is it possible to change the respective
> > partition sizes in FBSD itself, later? (let's say I need more /var space?)
>
> Currently, only if you're prepared to re-newfs the file system.

What is that? Does that mean I must "initialize" or "format" the
filesystem?

> There
> are some ideas afoot to make UFS file systems expandible, but they
> haven't been implemented yet.

Will they be in 2..2.7? in 3.0?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Spidey