Date:      Fri, 26 Jun 2009 15:22:17 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@freebsd.org>
To:        vova@fbsd.ru
Cc:        gnome <gnome@freebsd.org>, mobile <mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: dbus and system events - howto

Vladimir Grebenschikov wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am wandering is there "right" way to pass "system" events, like
> brightness buttons, volume buttons reported with devd to gnome desktop
> to:
> 1. do appropriate changes (change volume, brightness, etc)
> 2. show nice informational popup (with volume bar and so on)
> ?
>
> Before I had simple script, called from devd, it configures system with
> xbacklight, mixer and sysctl's, and shows something with onscreend
> daemon.
>
> After Xorg update oscreend starts to freeze by some reason. So now I am
> thinking about more "sane" way to link system events to gnome desktop.
>
> Also xbacklight now does not works with radeonhd again.
>
> So far I've dig for following dbus calls to manage brihgtness:
> 	/usr/local/bin/dbus-send --system --type=method_call --print-reply=1 \
> 		--dest=org.freedesktop.PowerManagement \
> 		--session /org/freedesktop/PowerManagement/Backlight \
> 		org.freedesktop.PowerManagement.Backlight.GetBrightness
>
> 	/usr/local/bin/dbus-send --system --type=method_call --print-reply=1 \
> 		--dest=org.freedesktop.PowerManagement \
> 		--session /org/freedesktop/PowerManagement/Backlight \
> 		org.freedesktop.PowerManagement.Backlight.SetBrightness uint32:$1
>
> But, looks like they are not shows popup.
> And I've not found simple solution about volume yet.

I haven't done much with power management in a long time as I don't have
a laptop with good working PM.  However, the volume support is easy.
Just go to your Keyboard Shortcuts capplet, and add a new hotkey for the
volume up and volume down actions.  I actually used the Dell buttons on
my laptop for this, and it works very well in GNOME.

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team	::	gnome@FreeBSD.org