Date:      Fri, 25 Mar 2005 18:36:15 +0100
From:      Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net>
To:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org, ddlawrence@excite.com
Subject:   Re: usbd_setup_pipe   failed to start

On Thursday 24 March 2005 20:21, Don Lawrence wrote:
> Hi the previous problem 78984 got the same error as me
> when I plug in my MP3 player (a cheap Samsung).
> H Selaskey said the problem was with clearing the stall
> condition and gave a code fix.
> Which I did.
> Now my problem is installing the recompiled usbd daemon.
> It compiled per given instructions without complaint:
> from /sys/modules/usb:
>
> make
>
> then
>
> make install
>
> after rebooting the problem persists and I noticed that
> the file /usr/sbin/usbd has not been changed from the
> original date.
You might need to recompile the other usb modules too:

aue
axe
cue
kue
netgraph/bluetooth/ubt
netgraph/bluetooth/ubtbcmfw
rue
sound/driver/uaudio
ubsa
ubser
ucom
udav
udbp
ufm
uftdi
ugen
uhid
ukbd
ulpt
umass
umct
umodem
ums
uplcom
urio
usb
uscanner
uvisor
uvscom

You don't need to recompile usbd which is in another directory:
"make -C/usr/src/usr.sbin/usbd all install clean"

If you are seeing the same error message:
"usbd_setup_pipe: failed to start endpoint, IOERROR" then you are still using
the old usb driver.

If the usb driver is in the kernel you need to recompile the kernel in
addition to the usb-modules. Make sure you have got "device usb" and
"device umass" in the kernel config.

Yours
--HPS