Date:      Fri, 09 Feb 2001 10:49:57 -0800
From:      "Stuart Morse" <sturu@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can't get ports through Wingate Proxy

Hi All,

I've been trying to use sysinstall to get ports for my FreeBSD 4.2
system. I have to go through a Wingate HTTP proxy server to do this. I
can access the site easily through the proxy with my web browser, but
not from sysinstall. When sysinstall prompts me for the IP (or domain
name) and port of the proxy, I give it the correct values
(192.168.0.64:81). When I check the Wingate gatekeeper, it shows an
ftp URL connection to the site (ftp://ftp.ie.freebsd.ord/pub/...).
Sysinstall shows the message "Checking access to:
ftp://ftp.ie.freebsd.ord/pub/...", but that's as far as I get. After
about 5 minutes something times out, and I get the following error
from sysinstall:

  No such directory ftp://ftp.ie.freebsd.ord/pub/... please check the
  URL and start again.

I could download the files I need using the Web browser, or another
FTP client and install from the FTP server on my PC, but I don't know
which files to download (I'm trying to install KDE and it looks big).
Any ideas? Could it be something to do with the Gateway or DNS
settings I gave when I installed FreeBSD? We don't run an internal
DNS, and I don't know what to put in the gateway field.

Regards,

Stuart

p.s. I don't have the installation CD, and don't have time to
wait for it to arrive in the mail (I've ordered it). I installed the
OS by downloading the necessary files from the mirror site to my PC
and using an FTP server on my PC.