Date:      Tue, 4 Aug 1998 14:05:31 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   couple of questions

Hi guys,

A week or so ago Slashdot posted a link to an OS Comparison chart -
FreeBSD was missing so I emailed the author of the page and offered to get
the FreeBSD info to add to the chart and he thought that would be great.
I've dug through the mailing lists/FAQ/handbook and have gotten just about
everything answered but a couple of technical questions remain and I was
hoping that some of the hackers could answer them!  :-)  These questions
concern the 2.2.7 release.

You can see the chart at:

	http://www.xunil.com/xunil/oschart.html

- maximum file/partition size:

	- I've seen files (from an ls -l emailed to me) of ~ 7 GB, but
	  I'm not sure what the absolute maximum file size is.  Is there
	  a hard limit?
	- digging through the -current mailing list archive I found a note
	  from John Dyson saying the maximum partition size was 512 GB.
	  Is this still true (the note was from 97) and if so does it also
	  apply to 2.2.7?

- swap partitions

	- what's the maximum swap partition size?  I seem to recall
	  reading on -current about someone w/ a 1 GB swap partition, but
	  my memory has been known to be faulty.

	- what's the maximum number of swap partitions you can have?

- multi-disk file systems

	- in the chart he references Caldera having "md" - I'm not sure
	  what this is.  Any ideas?  My interpretation was say /usr on
	  1 disk, /tmp on another or something, but I'm still waiting for
	  an answer.  If it helps he has "volume sets" listed under NT and
	  ODM under SCO Unixware

Thanks for any help in advance!

Brett
Brett Taylor            brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu
http://peloton.physics.montana.edu/brett/

"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of
transport grow daily more nightmarish.  Only the bicycle remains pure in
heart."  - Iris Murdoch, "The Red and the Green"