Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 2002 16:24:40 +0930
From:      David Lloyd <lloy0076@adam.com.au>
To:        Bryan Cassidy <bryanc2000@insightbb.com>
Cc:        adamw@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Whats the deal?

Bryan,

> option IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT
>
> or
> option IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT=??
>
> to the kernel?

I tend to add a rule that is the equivalent of "accept everything" at
65534 or thereabouts _if_ and _only if_ I really want a firewall of this
type.

The reason why firewalls tend to default to DENY is that it's
easier to ALLOW stuff you want rather than remember what STUFF you don't
want.

Whilst your users might scream if you accidentally deny
ICQ/IRC/something else you shouldn't have denied, they'll be more upset
if the system goes down because you forgot to close some insecure port
and then lost the system so badly you needed to do a full rebuild...

DSL

--
The Linux C Programming Lists: