Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 2000 22:09:04 -0700
From:      Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        toushek@canadiangeneral.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Migrating Server

On Thu, 21 Dec 2000 23:13:17 -0500  "Alex Toushek " wrote:
 +------------------
 | I have a FreeBSD 4.0 server that i use for apache / unix shells.
 | I need to m ove it to another server with different hardware. The
 | existing server is IDE , the new one is SCSI. How do I do this
 | without loosing data / and with out a lot of down time? I want the
 | same config of everything and I do not want to reinst all / config
 | all my services and user accounts.  Please help me!!!! I have a
 | har dware issue with the IDE server, i keep getting a core dump
 | every 3 days or so, that is why I am moving it to a correct (Real
 | IBM) server.
 +------------------

Since you have two complete machines this should be streight
forward.  First get the new machine installed with all the basic
stuff, setup all the needed partitions and get it up on the local
lan.  Then dump all the interesting mounted file systems on old system
to locak disk, tape or an nfs mounted disk on the new machine:

    dump -af /somebigdisk/slash.dump /
    dump -af /somebigdisk/usr.dump /usr
    dump -af /somebigdisk/var.dump /var
    dump -af /somebigdisk/var.dump /home

Copy the dump files over to the new machine using ftp or ssh if
you need to. Then restore them. The -i option to restore makes it
convenient to browse around and pick what you want to restore.

    cd /
    restore -if /bigdisk/slash.dump

    cd /var
    restore -if /bigdisk/slash.dump

Pay special attention to the files in /etc.  Be sure not to recover
/etc/fstab.   It's nice to have the old machine available
while you are doing this,  You can poke around on it to find
things that you might have missed.

When all this is done you will have only a few remaining little
tasks such as changing the old machines name and IP address and
maybe renaming the new machine with the old names if you choose
not to recover rc.conf

good luck
chris