Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 2004 17:11:36 +1030
From:      Alex Wilkinson <alex.wilkinson@dsto.defence.gov.au>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Using WEP with MacOSX[client] and FreeBSD[WAP]

NOTE: please CC me as I am not subscribed to the list.

Hi all,

I have set up a FreeBSD -CURRENT box as a WAP sucessfully. I am now in the process of setting up WEP.

I have successfully turned on WEP on the WAP with:

ifconfig_wi0="ssid doubt_it wepmode on wepkey 0x032ED30A31CD97041DCE535047 channel 11 media DS/11Mbps mediaopt hostap up stationname 'FreeBSD_AP'"

This seems to work fine.

However, the problem is trying to get my MacOSX powerbook to log into the network with a WEP password i.e. The password keeps getting rejected.

I'm acutally typing in the hex number prefixed with a $. As recommended by:

http://www.atpm.com/8.04/wifi.shtml

Has anyone had any experience on connecting MacOSX to a FreeBSD WAP with WEP enabled ?

If so could you please shine some on light on how to get my WEP password accepted on the MacOSX side.

Thanks

- Alex

p.s Yes I know WEP is crackable. It is my 1st layer of security.