Date:      Sat, 8 Apr 2000 01:48:10 -0400
From:      Ray Kohler <ray@rjk191.rh.psu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrading 3.2-RELEASE to 4.0-RELEASE

On Sat, Apr 08, 2000 at 02:23:29AM +0000, Jon O. wrote:
> I think I'm going to restore and upgrade with cvsup. Assistance with that
> would be helpful too. But, I think if sysinstall is an option the user
> should be told how to do it that way and not just the quote above.

I can't really tell you anything about upgrading with sysinstall
other than it is good for upgrading when the major version is the
same, and bad otherwise.

As for cvsup, this is the normal way to do it. If you're familiar
with 'make world' and friends, this will make it easier. _BUT_
regardless of what you do or don't know, you need to read the file
/usr/src/UPDATING after retrieving the new version along with the
rest of the cvsup. Following these instructions is the only safe and
successful way to go from 3.X to 4.0 without getting hit by the
'gotchas'.

--
Ray Kohler <rjk191@psu.edu>
FreeBSD -- The Power to Serve