Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 2000 15:25:36 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ab.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysinstall DOESN'T ASK, dangerous defaults!

In message <200009222122.e8MLMG117534@orthanc.ab.ca> Lyndon Nerenberg writes:
: >>>>> "Warner" == Warner Losh <imp@village.org> writes:
:
:     Warner> When are they secure?  The only case I can think of is
:     Warner> when they are used on an isolated network that isn't
:     Warner> connected to the outside world and all the users on that
:     Warner> isolated network are trusted.  Seems like a very limited
:     Warner> subset of FreeBSD users in general.
:
: Sounds like most corporate networks sitting behind firewalls. We use
: rsh/rlogin all over our internal development networks. We just don't
: let it through the firewall. And since everyone on the development
: network has root for all the machines, the security limitations in
: rsh and rlogin are a non-issue.

That assumes that your firewall is good and that it can't be breached.
Once breached, the pentration will spread like wildfire, to mix my
metaphores.

Warner