Date:      Sun, 1 Apr 2001 11:53:02 -0400
From:      "Jason T. Luttgens" <lucky@lansters.com>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Network performance question

Hi all. I've been doing some network capture performance testing with
FreeBSD 4.3 RC vs. Linux 2.2.18 and 2.4.3. Basically I captured a few hours
traffic at my local network and I'm using tcpreplay to re-send the packets
on the network. Tcpreplay sends the packets out at a rate of 20000
packets/second. I have another computer that is multi-boot where I do a
tcpdump to listen to the packets on the network and write them to a file
(tcpdump -n -w test)

The listening system is a Pentuim III 800, 256MB RAM, 3COM 3C905B-TX net
card....

Linux 2.2.18 fails miserably to capture all the packets, and I get a lot of
"too much work at interrupt" kernel messages. It only sees about half of the
packets.

Linux 2.4.3 performs very well - in most cases captures all packets with no
interface errors.

FreeBSD kinda disappointed me. It gets ~1000 interface errors on about
514000 packets. I switched the 3COM card out for a NetGear FA311 (sis
driver). After receiving ~310000 packets, the network goes down (can't
ping/telnet anywhere). At that point I have to ifconfig down and up the
interface to get it back.

Now maybe this method of testing is not proper, or there is something on the
FreeBSD box I can tweak - but at this point, I'm inclined to think that
Linux 2.4.3 handles high network loads better than FreeBSD. Can someone
comment on this?

Thanks,
Jason