Date:      Wed, 10 May 1995 16:44:30 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bakul@netcom.com, obrien@leonardo.net
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: This one looks very very suspecious to me....

>> This is more of a problem with the Rand editor than anything
>> else.  I've never seen worse abuse of cpp than in the Rand
>> editor (not counting Obfuscated C contest entrants).  Not
>> sure if the -traditional flag may have helped.

>Tsk. Legal is as legal does. :-)  I don't think it should have any
>business trying to pick character constants out of something inside
>an excluded #ifdef block.  I should be able to put raw random bits

It has to look inside the #ifdef block because it isn't excluded.
Comments affect #ifdef blocks:

#if 0
/* The #endif on the next line doesn't terminate the #if 0.
#endif
   This text is excluded.
   The #endif on the next line terminates the #if 0. */
#endif

Quotes affect comments:

#if 0
'/*' This is not a comment since the comment begin sequence was quoted
 The #endif on the next line terminates the #if 0.
#endif
   This text is not excluded.
   The #endif on the next line is an error. */
#endif

Bruce