Date:      Wed, 8 Dec 1999 10:54:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        Morten Seeberg <morten@seeberg.dk>
Cc:        Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@pooh.elsevier.nl>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: is -STABLE really stable?

On Tue, 7 Dec 1999, Morten Seeberg wrote:

> Revising the release times for 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3 I know realise that I=
=B4ve
> just misunderstood the way -STABLE works :) And that I should just start
> using RELEASE on my production machines, instead of -STABLE, which I thou=
ght
> was "better"/"more stable" than RELEASE.

Probably a 'safer' policy if you don't want to worry about whether or not
some committer has just temporarily broken -stable (bad committer! No
biscuit!) is to wait for a -release, subscribe to this list and watch what
problems people find with it, WAIT say two or three weeks, and then
install -stable as of that date.

Unfortunately a lot of people only jump on -release once it's already out
the door instead of properly helping to beta-test, which means that the
bug reports only come in after it's too late. These get immediately fixed
in -stable, of course, which means that there's often a substantial
improvement over the first few weeks after a release.

Having said that, -stable doesn't change very much over time anyway (by
definition), so whichever day you pick isn't likely to make much
difference (in theory, only minor changes are made to -stable, so only
minor things should break :-).

Kris