Date:      Thu, 01 Feb 2001 17:20:39 -0200
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@jonny.eng.br>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@aciri.org>
Cc:        yusufg@outblaze.com, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, phk@freebsd.org
Subject:   Solved: Bridging and dummynet seems to destroy dmesg output

Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> >     I tried only removing DUMMYNET from config, and the bug continues.  Should
> > I try the changes below?
>
> no-they only affect dummynet. But this seems to suggest that
> the problem is unrelated to my changes...
>
>         cheers
>         luigi

Hi,

    I found the problem!

    I started searching for the point where ipfw writes to the msgbuf, and
like all other kernel modules, it uses the log(9) function.  But differently
from the other modules, ip_fw.c uses a LOG_SECURITY argument.  I removed it,
recompiled, reboot, and BINGO!  Probably the log(9) function does not expect a
facility parameter, as it is assumed to be LOG_KERNEL.

    Searching the cvsweb tree, I assume the changes that made it fail were
made to kern/subr_prf.c, and not directly to netinet/ip_fw.c.  Probably a
longer search should be made to detect if any other call to log(9) uses this
approach.  (CC: to phk, who made the change to kern/subr_prf.c, 1.61.2.1, at
2000.01.16)

    Hoping this is the final solution and waiting for the cvs commit, thanks
to everybody,

                                        Jonny

--
João Carlos Mendes Luís                 jonny@embratel.net.br