Date:      Sun, 2 Aug 1998 08:56:17 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Peter van Heusden <pvh@leftside.wcape.school.za>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   EXA 8200 tape drive on FreeBSD

Hi

I'm trying to get a EXA 8200 tape drive working on FreeBSD. It is detected
fine by the kernel during startup, and I can do a 'mt status' on it, with
the following results:

Present Mode:   Density = 0x00         Blocksize variable
---------available modes---------
Mode 0:         Density = 0x00         Blocksize variable
Mode 1:         Density = X3.136-1986  Blocksize = 512 bytes
Mode 2:         Density = X3.39-1986   Blocksize variable
Mode 3:         Density = X3.54-1986   Blocksize variable

However, I cannot write to it at all - even after a 'mt erase', I get the
following:

bash# mt rewind
bash# dd if=/kernel of=/dev/nrst0 bs=64 count=1024
dd: /dev/nrst0: Input/output error
1+0 records in
0+0 records out
0 bytes transferred in 0.082043 secs (0 bytes/sec)
bash#

with the console showing the following message:

st0: oops not queued

Is there anything else I can try to get this thing working, or should I
just give up on it?

Thanks,
Peter
--
Peter van Heusden |    Its the 90's, and collective action is STILL cool!
pvh@leftside.wcape.school.za | Get active in your union today!