Date:      21 Nov 2001 12:59:45 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: home pc use

"Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com> writes:

> What's bare about a console?

It doesn't have lots of useful stuff on it.

It doesn't have the right one inch of the screen showing info
on CPU, memory, or other info that can be displayed.

It doesn't have a column of buttons in that one inch which
show me most of my running applications and allow me to
switch between them.

It doesn't have a little map in that one inch which allows me
to notice instantly which of several "desktops" I'm currently
using and to switch between them.

It doesn't allow me to pop up menus of operations from three
mouse buttons used on various sections of the screen. (Well
a console with enabled mouse can do some of that.)

It doesn't allow me to have a stack of large bare-console-sized
X application windows among which I can switch quickly.

It doesn't allow me to run XEmacs or a good web browser.

X with the fvwm 2.x window manager (or others) aren't so bare.

Anthony, you are REALLY going to kick yourself when you learn
to compromise in your Windows vs. Unix mentality and stop restricting
yourself to ONLY a command line in FreeBSD.  CLI is better than GUI for
very many things (like almost anything you do very often - even
navigating between windows which I do more often than not (well, not
CLI, but keys)), but GUI is better for others (like when using menus
for unmemorized commands).

Give X a much more serious try out than you have.  Don't use GNOME or
KDE to start with, since they have so much to learn about and give you
things to gripe about.  I've only used fvwm (fvwm2) since using KDE and
trying several WM a year or two ago.  I think many are slicker than
fvwm, and a few are simpler but I think it has a good balance of
features and fairly decent documentation.  You normally do all
configuration in one file.  You start with an example or someone else's
and it's easy enough to learn how to modify.