Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 2002 16:48:23 +1000
From:      Jacob Rhoden <jrhoden@unimelb.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Whats the deal?

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002 16:54, David Lloyd wrote:
> I tend to add a rule that is the equivalent of "accept everything" at
> 65534 or thereabouts _if_ and _only if_ I really want a firewall of thi=
> type.

Actually, I would reccomend the opposite (if it is a remote server), so 6=
5535=20
allows all, and 65534 denies all.

The reason for this, is if your rc.firewall file is accidentally stuffed =
up or=20
your rc.conf file or something similar, if the rc.firewall is not setup=20
properly, you are locked out of your system. But when all is fine, it=20
defaults to deny all.

Regards,
Jacob

Jacob Rhoden            Phone: +61 3 8344 6102
ITS Division            Email: jrhoden@unimelb.edu.au
Melbourne University   Mobile: +61 403 788 386