Date:      Wed, 5 May 1999 08:19:01 -0700
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@ontario.mooseriver.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        jmutter@netwalk.com, "Viren R. Shah" <viren@rstcorp.com>, Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCWeek article by Anne Chen -- Comments

On Tue, May 04, 1999 at 10:50:37PM -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
> It does reflect the weaknesses in the current marketing and promotion
> of FreeBSD. In particular, the article mentions the lack of native
> application support. (Running Linux binaries under emulation isn't
> acceptable to the IT crowd; the platform must be SUPPORTED by the
> application vendor.)
>
> As I've said many times before, the technical foundation of FreeBSD
> is excellent, and the people who work on the OS are very competent
> programmers and debuggers. FreeBSD's deficiencies are in the areas
> of marketing, promotion, native application support, and a good
> "story." In short, it has not technical problems but rather memetic
> problems.
>
> This is enough to cause it to lose out to Linux's more adaptive
> memes.
>
> To solve these problems, FreeBSD needs the sort of marketing that
> the current leadership rejects. To use a phrase coined by Alan
> Cooper, "The inmates are running the asylum."
>
> Even development efforts will fall behind -- due to a lack of
> enthusiastic volunteers -- if this  problem is not rectified.

Yes, you have said many times before that the marketing of FreeBSD is
lackluster at best and the response has always been the same; go and do a
better job. No on is holding a gun to your head Brett. If you are that
unhappy with the current marketing effort you are invited to do a better
job. Yes, that's right, just go a do it. No on is stopping you.

I am growing very tired of this little game of yours Brett. Every couple of
weeks you show up telling us how wrong we are and how we are completely
fucking this up and we should do this and that. Notice, of course, you
never lift a finger yourself. Everyone gets in an uproar over that latest
round of Brett bullshit, then you stomp off in a huff, promising never to
darken our doorstop again. A few weeks go by and you are back. Have you
ever been diagnosed as a manic-depressive?

I've said this before and I'll say it again. If you are that unhappy with
our efforts then get up off your dead ass and do something about it. Prove
us wrong. Time to put up or shut up.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a |    FreeBSD 3.1
jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | UNIX for the masses