Date:      Thu, 29 Mar 2001 13:49:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rick Hamell <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>
To:        Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: email question

> > > Is there a way to filter outgoing email through our FreeBSD 4.0 email server
> > > and have it check for certain words or statements, and if found, send a copy
> > > to another email address without letting the sender or recipient know that
> > > this happened?
> >
> >         Probally.. but what are the moral and legal implications of doing
> > so?
>
> Interesting. Since this is basically what virusscanners do, you're
> suggesting it might be illegal if not immoral and unethical to
> use a virusscanner in MTAs? ;)

	Possibly... if the Virus scanner is making a full copy of the
email itself. BUT... In the case of a Virus scanner, I can see the need
for it. I'd like to know what the orginal user's intent is personally ,as
I can't think of another case where you would need to do so. (Though I'm
sure I'll be deluged with a number of reasons now... :)
	Though it also poses an interesting technical challenge... I was
thinking that you could have sendmail/postfix/whatever simply CC the
message off to the 2nd email box. Is there even a setting for something
like this?
	The 2nd choice would be to run a script that checks the size of
the user's mail file then copy the relevant part into a 2nd mail file. I
guess the real question is, are you the sys admin? Or do want to keep it
hidden? :)

	Rick