Date:      Mon, 13 May 2002 16:35:11 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Jamie Heckford <jamie@tridentmicrosystems.co.uk>
Cc:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NFS Problems with Quantum Snapserver 4100

On Mon, 13 May 2002, Jamie Heckford wrote:

> Im having odd problems with a nfs mount I have which is on a Quantum
> Snapserver Model 4100.
>
> Basically, I have the nfs mount on /data1-home. Small files are
> fine, but whenever I try and copy anything fairly "big" (5MB!) the
> command prompt just sits there.
>
> cd'ing to /data1-home just results in the command hanging there, and
> the only way to get back to the NFS share is the force an umount and
> remount.
>
> Has anyone had any similar problems?

Yes.  I have two 400GB 4100's and while things work great, I have come
across one situation where I had to ctrl-C out of an 'ls' or 'cd' when
trying to list or traverse a certain directory.  I use soft +
interruptible mounts, and I haven't needed to umount/remount a
filesystem to get things working again, just ctrl-C for a while until
it gets me back to a prompt.  It might time-out after a while, too,
but I didn't wait that long.

As Matt suggested might be the case, large files aren't a problem:

root@cdtech [/root]# mount_nfs -s -i 192.168.254.6:/SHARES /mnt
root@cdtech [/root]# cd /mnt/NETAPPS/CDIMAGE
root@cdtech [/mnt/NETAPPS/CDIMAGE]# ls -l
total 1892624
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  681992192 Apr 16 13:55 CD10D2.ISO
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  672856064 Apr 16 14:00 CD10D3.ISO
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  582211584 Apr 18 11:17 MSFS98.ISO
root@cdtech [/mnt/NETAPPS/CDIMAGE]# dd if=CD10D2.ISO of=/dev/null
1332016+0 records in
1332016+0 records out
681992192 bytes transferred in 119.014340 secs (5730336 bytes/sec)
root@cdtech [/mnt/NETAPPS/CDIMAGE]# time cp CD10D2.ISO /dev/null
0.015u 4.050s 1:55.59 3.5%      78+287k 0+0io 1pf+0w

As you can see, copying a big file is not a problem, and performance
is decent (6MB/sec seems to be about the max from the 4100).

The problem occurred only when getting to a certain point in a
directory tree and attempting to cd into a directory or ls it.
Unfortunately, I'm unable to reproduce the problem right now.  I've
done a whole 'find . -print' via the mount and everything went fine,
and I can't remember exactly where under the rather large tree I had
problems the last time.  Maybe find won't tickle the bug, maybe it has
been fixed in a recent STABLE update, maybe it was fixed when I
updated the servers to the latest SnapOS, I don't know.  It was such a
rare problem that I didn't even worry about it, and it is impossible
to say at this time wether FreeBSD was at fault or if it was SnapOS.
If I see the problem again, though, I'll bring it up. :-)

--
 Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
 FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet