Date:      Sat, 18 Nov 2000 09:30:17 -0500
From:      Neill Robins <freebsd@nc.rr.com>
To:        Pontius Malmberg <p9nch@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FastTrak100 and FreeBSD

Ok, I have a few extra minutes, so let me clear up some issues for
you.  See the notes below.  I am by no means a professional at this,
but maybe I can help get you going in the right direction, and maybe
the others on the list will throw in some information also.

First, please CC the list when you respond, since there are others
who may be able to add some valuable information into the discussion.
It can be very helpful in the case I don't know the exact answer or
they have some additional input.

Saturday, November 18, 2000, 1:01:15 AM, you wrote:
PM> thanks buddy, that's quick response.
PM> another fast question.
PM> i purchased the FreeBSD Power Pak, which had FreeBSD
PM> 3.3 and 4.4BSD Lite-Based Operating System and a hand

Ok, what you actually have is FreeBSD 3.3, however, it is based on
(derived from) BSD4.4, the real stuff developed at Berkely when they
were developing unix software.  One great feature from this is the
rock solid TCP/IP that has been used.

PM> book. what's the difference between the 3.3 and 4.4?
PM> should i install the 3.3 and then upgrade it from the
PM> net to the 4.2, which was what you mentioned supported

Yeah, in order to use the ata driver for ATA100 support you will need
to upgrade to FreeBSD 4.1.1 or later.  There is a simple process for
this using CVSup and it will also bring you up to date with the latest
stable version of FreeBSD.  See the links below for more info.

PM> Promise FastTrak100? i am setting up a
PM> webserver/ftp-server/mailserver, if you need to know
PM> what i am going to use it for? maybe dns too.. :o)

See these links.  They have helped me many times in the past, although
some pages may have some older information.
http://www.freebsd.org/  -> handbook, etc
http://www.freebsddiary.org/
http://freebsd.peon.net/freebsd/index.html
http://www.defcon1.org/  -> check out the CVSup section and the links
to more help
http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/  -> this has saved me a few
times
http://www.daemonnews.org/ -> has answered a question or two in the
past

Anyway, I hope you can get some questions answered from these links.
There are many others, these are just some I have found useful in the
past.

PM> thanks for all help,

Sure..

PM> ponch