Date:      21 May 2002 11:25:25 +0400
From:      "Vladimir B. " Grebenschikov <vova@sw.ru>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Oleg Chebotarev <chebotarev@yahoo.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: multi default routes in freebsd !?

=F7 Tue, 21.05.2002, =D7 09:37, Terry Lambert =CE=C1=D0=C9=D3=C1=CC:
> Oleg Chebotarev wrote:
> > Does anyone know when FreeBSD will
> > support multiple default routes
> > or multiple routes to the same network thru different interfaces?
>=20
> I have two default routes.  One is IP address "A".  The other is
> IP address "B".
>=20
> To which IP address do I forward a random packet?

There are some algoritms, for example round-robin
It is not a problem if you assign two equal routes you know what you
want.

If you have two links to one provider and want to balance outgoing
traffic it is much better to do it with to similar routes.

> Shouldn't you just use BGP instead?  That's what it was designed
> to support.

OSPF have equal cost multupath, An BGP too (If I not mistaken)
so lack of kernel support of more then one route for one destination=20
is not good.

Zebra on Linux can do OSPF equal cost multipath but on FreeBSD cant.

Times ago there was hack for multipath routing on:
ftp://ftp.flirble.org/pub/unix/hacks/FreeBSD/mpath/
but it seems this page now removed.

:(

> -- Terry
=20