Date:      Sat, 19 Jun 1999 19:29:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "James A. Mutter" <jmutter@netwalk.com>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>, "James A. Mutter" <jmutter@netwalk.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Questions about the acd driver (IDE CD-ROM)

:> > Hi all,
:> >
:> > I finally broke down and bought an IDE CDROM for my system today.  I
:> > don't plan to do much of anything with it except make copies of my
:> > cd's into mp3 format.  I'm having a problem with the IDE driver.
:> >
:> > I've added these lines into my kernel config file:

<snip>

:in the BIOS. You have to set up the IDE in two places. The first place
:is for the drives. The second setting determines whether one or both
:controllers are active. If the second controller was active, he would
:have seen something at 0x170.
:
:Kent
:

Yup, I had both IDE controllers ready to go, what I missed was this:

options 	ATAPI

I didn't realize that I needed that when I had ATAPI_STATIC in there
as well.  :)

Thanks all for your help!

******

Now, on another note, what "cd rippers" do people use for IDE drives?
I've played, briefly, with dagrab, but it seems rather slow.  Any
suggestions?