Date:      Tue, 9 May 2000 04:14:01 -0500
From:      Alan Cox <alc@cs.rice.edu>
To:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Abit BP6 - UDMA66 and non IBM disks

About two days ago, I tested a machine with four IDE drives
each on its own cable as the master.  All four drives were:

ad0: 29311MB <Maxtor 53073U6> [59554/16/63] at ata0-master using UDMA66

I used the motherboard controller to support two of the drives.  It was a

atapci0: <Intel ICH ATA66 controller> port 0xffa0-0xffaf at device 31.1 on pci0

and a Highpoint-based ATA66 controller for the other two drives.  The
Highpoint locked up with the "resetting devices" message as soon
as the system was stressed.  I replaced the Highpoint controller
with a Promise ATA66 and didn't see any problems after that.  (I've
never seen any problems with the Maxtor's on the Intel ATA66 controller
either.)

In summary, same disks, three different controllers, problems only
occur with the Highpoint controller.  (I believe the Abit BP6 uses
the Highpoint controller.)

Alan