Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 2002 03:33:26 -0400
From:      parv <parv_fm@emailgroups.net>
To:        Jason Hunt <leth@primus.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, kwythers@umn.edu
Subject:   Re: housecleaning and portupgrade question

in message <20021024231510.O22947-100000@lethargic.dyndns.org>,
wrote Jason Hunt thusly...

> Personally I have always just installed the newer version of a
> port on-top of the older one.  Then I go through the package
> "database" and fix the dependencies ...  After fixing the
> dependencies I just remove the directory for the old package and
> it's "uninstalled".

yuck, that's one unsanitary way to keep ports updated.

> I don't know if this is the best way to go about maintaining
> packages, and I realize that lots of unused/old files are being
> left around, but FWIW I have not run into any problems.  Maybe
> someone has better advice?

portupgrade usage advice has been repeated many times on various
freebsd mailing lists; i don't use it for that purpose.

this is not a "better advice"; this is how i upgrade ports w/ help
of 2-3 script here & there...

  - modify Makefile as appropriate.

  - in case of large port like mozilla, i fetch it first (make
    fetch); otherwise i don't bother w/i this.

  - in case of a port w/ interesting options, i extract it (make
    extract) to read the configure script.  modify the Makefile as
    appropriate.

  - in case of unofficial patches for a port like mutt, i run "make
    patch" followed by application of external patches.

  - run "make build" (in the new ports directory).  if it succeeds,
    delete the old port; may need to force the issue in case of a
    dependency port.  when a dependency port is deleted, dependent
    port may or may not need to be rebuilt/reinstalled.

  - install the new port (make install).  sometimes i also create a
    package (make package) which does the installation too.

  - file bug report when anything goes awry.  log of output from the
    above process comes in handy at this time.

  - run make clean & compress the logs (bzip2 -9 log) (if i
    remember).

> .... portupgrade ...  know I sound like a prick here, but ...) if
> it's so good then why isn't it incorporated into the base system?

many things which are "so good" are not in the base system, but most
people need/use those things.  search the -ports, -questions, &
perhaps -stable list w/ a query like "freebsd base system ports
include".

 - parv