Date:      Sat, 17 Feb 2001 16:07:29 +0300
From:      "Artem Koutchine" <matrix@ipform.ru>
To:        "Len Conrad" <LConrad@Go2France.com>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: can't boot 4.2R

I've never has such problem in the past, so my wild guess would be:

1) wrong disk geometry? (very likely considering how old your drive
is)
2) Some very weird disk with very weird bios ( i doubt that this is
the case)
3) Wrong install procedure

For number 1: Try getting some real values for the drive C/H/S. I
guess the
drive is not
working in LBA mode? I cannot suggest anything particular, but you
might
try playing with the drive MODE and REAL/BIOS values for C/H/S when
installing FreeBSD.

As for number 2: get something newer and more standard nowadays

As For number3: when in fdisk DO NOT PRESS 'W". Just create a slice (
which is what dos calls partition), make it a real partition (not
dedicated),
then just press 'Q' in label editor create all FBSD partions and press
Q again.
Installer shoudl do the job automaticcaly. Again, watch out for the
disk
geometry.

Good luck
Artem