Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2001 12:24:47 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, "Andrew R. Reiter" <arr@watson.org>, Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: automated checking of Security Advisories

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Karsten W. Rohrbach wrote:

> oldver: bind-8.2.2
> newver: bind-8.2.3

If we're going to flag insecure versions, I think a better way would be to
list "minimum version", which would indicate the lowest numbered version
you can safely run.  This could also be incorporated into the Makefile for
each port so that pkg_version could issue alerts even before security
advisories are issued (or after, if you missed some advisories.)

Of course, there's the issue of bind 8.x.x versus 9.x.x.  I'm not sure how
to resolve what minimum version would refer to.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack