Date:      Mon, 09 Dec 2002 16:00:08 -0800
From:      "William Holt" <wiholt@cabrillo.edu>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   DP2 Java 1.3 makes core dump

Hi,

I have a problem with the new DP2 disk, and I'm not
sure how to troubleshoot it further.

I started with a fresh disk (to be sure it was repeatable)
and installed from CDROM DP2 (just issued a couple weeks
ago).

I picked the X Developer package.

Next I installed the Jetty port ( cd to
/usr/ports/java/jetty )
and type make - this caused (by dependency) the JDK1.3 to
install
and it did at patch level 7.  Everything seemed to go fine
(wow
amazing - downloading stuff from Sun's web site and all!)
and I
tested the JDK with a couple of simple programs -
everything looks
fine.

BUT, when I run the Jetty demo, I get a BUSS ERROR and a
core dump
(a file called java.core appears in the directory).  I
tried to write
a couple of simple programs to see if they would cause the
buss error,
like a two threaded "Hello World" but nothing did.  I'm not
sure
if I can get source for Jetty to try and find exactly where
it dies -
(It's not at the contructor for the server, it's when I
actually try and
start it with a
 server.start();
call.

Here is the code that crashes, although running the Jetty
demo will
produce
the same buss error:

HttpServer server = new HttpServer();
try
{
    server.addListener(new InetAddrPort(8080));
} catch( IOException ioe ) { System.out.println( ioe );
System.exit(1);
};

HandlerContext context = server.addContext("/");
ServletHandlerContext servHand= new ServletHandlerContext(
server, "/"
);
servHand.setDynamicServletPathSpec( "/servlet/*");

server.addContext( null, servHand );
context.setResourceBase("./docroot/");
context.setServingResources(true);

try
{
    server.start();  //blammo! this line crashes
} catch ( MultiException me ){ System.out.println( me );
System.exit(1);
};

I'd very much like to help if I could, but I'm not sure
where to go
or if this might already be fixed in -Current

Best Regards,

-Will