Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2001 09:09:58 +0100
From:      "Rob Hulme" <rob@robhulme.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Server synch

Hi,

I have a colocated server at a nearby city, and recently I've decided to
upgrade it to a Dell PowerEdge server.

The problem I have is that I have no backups of the server, and I need to
basically keep it running (I wouldn't want it to be down for more than an
hour or two).

I basically need to create a mirror of the existing server onto the
poweredge that I have... Is there any easy way to do this?

I only have a modem connection to the internet from home, but I could spend
an hour or so at the co location facility copying things across their
network if I needed to.

What I'm looking for is someway to copy it so that the setup is identical on
the new server, so that it can be just plugged in its place.

Originally I was going to install FreeBSD 4.3 (I've got 4.2 on the old
server) onto the PowerEdge, set the networking settings to be the same as
the old server, install Apache+PHP, MySQL, Majordomo, sshd, and mirror the
setup for BIND - doing all this manually, hopefully covering all the major
bases - then swapping the boxes over and from home updating anything that I
missed.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thankyou!
-Rob

--------------------------------
http://www.robhulme.com
http://www.christianunion.org.uk

"Most people don't know Freud actually thought sexual impulses were all
about butt naked circus midgets." and "I feel ill, last time I party with
desperate trained monkeys" - quotes from my homepage

"easy as 3.1415926535897932384626433832795028841..."

"A programmer is a device for turning coffee into code." -firefly

"Black holes are where God is dividing by zero."  --Anonymous

"Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important stuff on
ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it." -- Linus Torvalds