Date:      Sat, 06 Mar 1999 18:11:05 -0800
From:      bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I'm missing something on vinum

--==_Exmh_669484346P

If memory serves me right, "Eric J. Schwertfeger" wrote:

> Basically, I'm using vinum on 3.1-RELEASE, with a 4GB boot drive and 3 9GB
> data drives, using vinum to stripe the three drives, and I can make
> everything work, except that when I reboot (or even before I reboot,
> actually), a
>
> vinum read /dev/da1s1e /dev/da2s1e /dev/da3s1e
>
> does nothing, with a kernel message "vinum: no drives found" message
> printed out.
>
> I noticed in the man pages that the examples use dedicated disk mode, is
> that actually a requirement?

Eric--

I just ran into the same situation this week.  You need to do:

# vinum read /dev/da1s1 /dev/da2s1 /dev/da3s1

In other words, don't specify the partitions you are using for your vinum
drives, just the slices on which those drives live.  Once I did this,
everything worked quite nicely.

When I mentioned this difficulty by email, Greg Lehey also informed me (and
I'm assuming that he won't mind me posting two sentences from a private email
to me) that:

> Note, BTW, that 'vinum start' with no parameters will now DTRT.  If it
> doesn't work for you, pick up
> ftp://ftp.lemis.com/pub/vinum/vinum-3.1-STABLE.tar.gz and use that.

Hope this helps,

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_669484346P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBNuHgOKjOOi0j7CY9AQG6agQAgLTD11EILQuzenRJc4RTDjwEQzAXa2Sr
VNJtg5oLDT9x+5mSiE6SmQMKnWzh39rVUuQ/01mR0/yFVRIqbo/JTO9t1suUTOJX
aLKM6f2kIL03rMFPqZlNgxFSfdOC2Dvkc/RWKIULXponqEtRjvv90F4q95zQ7Chl
YTSTzibRYKk=
=7PM9
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_669484346P--