Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 2002 00:40:49 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Lee <lee@unassemble.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Command History & Keyboard Setup

On 2002-06-20 21:02 +0000, Lee wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have just installed my first FreeBSD system, 4.6 release.  I hope
> that someone will be able to help me with a couple of strange
> problems.

A newcomer to FreeBSD then?  Welcome aboard :)))

> I use a standard PS/2 UK keyboard, when logging in as root the £
> sign does not, even though it does when logged in as a normal user.
> I am using UK Codepage 850.

I'm guessing you mean that you are trying to type stuff at the shell
prompt, and you are seeing differences.  Right?  (Correct me, if I'm
wrong here.)

This is probably because the `shell' of the root is not the same as
your shell when logged in as a user.  Assuming that you haven't used a
UNIX system before, a `shell' is what FreeBSD calls the program that
runs shortly after you login using your username, to read ``commands''
that you type and run the proper programs.

There are many different shells, and FreeBSD works equally well with
all of them.  What you have asked in your post is caused by the root
user having a different shell than the normal user.  You might want to
start by reading the documentation on your CDROMs, or over the web
(point your browser at http://www.FreeBSD.org/docs.html and read at
least the "new users" article, the Handbook, and the FAQ).

Cheers, and
welcome (again).

- Giorgos