Date:      Thu, 07 Nov 2013 17:30:19 +0200
From:      Thinker Rix <thinkerix@rocketmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Motherbard chipset & CPU compatibility

Hello all!

I want to buy a new server and run FreeBSD 8.3-RELEASE-p11 on it (64bit)

I am interested in 2 different solutions:

A) Intel Socket 1155
Motherboard: Supermicro X9SCM-F
(http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C202_C204/X9SCM-F.cfm)
CPU: Pentium, 3rd generation Core i3 or Xeon E3-1200 v2
Onboard NICs: Intel® 82579LM and 82574L
Supermicro's compatibility list proclaims compatibility as of: FreeBSD
8.1 (http://www.supermicro.com/support/resources/OS/C204.cfm)

B) Intel Socket 1150
Motherboard: X10SLL-F
(http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C220/X10SLL-F.cfm)
CPU: Pentium, 4th generation Core i3 or Xeon E3-1200 v3
Onboard NICs: Intel® i217LM & 1x Intel® i210AT
Supermicro's compatibility list proclaims compatibility as of: FreeBSD
9.1 (http://www.supermicro.com/support/resources/OS/C222.cfm)

So according to the information provided by Supermicro, only Solution A
should be compatible with FreeBSD 8.3-RELEASE-p11

Questions:
1. Someone has told me, that I can use even brand new CPUs/Chipsets on
the old FreeBSD version; only new cutting-edge CPU features might not be
supported, but the system should be running (due to general i386-64bit
compatibility?!). Is that true? Could I use solution B), too then?
2. How about the NICs of both solutions, are they supported by FreeBSD
8.3-RELEASE-p11?

Thank you for any advice!

Regards
Thinker Rix

P.S. Please do not advise me to just use newer versions of FreeBSD - the
reason for me using this outdated version is that I am bound to a
special-purpose distribution that is based on FreeBSD 8.3-RELEASE-p11