Date:      Fri, 4 Nov 2005 13:56:49 -0600
From:      Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fast diff command for large files?

--nextPart1375379.uV3AlG0Dm5

On Friday 04 November 2005 13:39, Charles Swiger wrote:

> OK, but even if only one line out of 1000 changes, you still can't
> make either diff or Colin Percival's bsdiff run on gigabyte sized
> files and have it fit into MAXDSIZE on 32-bit address space.

=46or the record, textproc/2bsd-diff works fine - it's just slow.

<thinking out loud>
I wonder if rsync could be modified to output its patches rather than=20
silently applying them to a target file.  It seems to be pretty good at=20
comparing large files quickly...
</thinking>
=2D-=20
Kirk Strauser