Date:      Fri, 20 Jul 2001 09:37:41 +1000
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        Mark Thomas <thomas@pbegames.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Crontab - Biweekly events?

thomas@pbegames.com said:
> I have a task I want to run every other week on a specific day, say
> Tuesday. I can't see a way to convince cron to do this. Anyone know
> how?

You can't.  Cron doesn't support this.

However, what you can do is wrap your stuff in a script that either
creates a "flag" file somewhere (if it doesn't exist) and runs your
stuff or deletes the flag file (if it exists) and exits.  Then run
that every Tuesday from crontab.

Alternatively, you can use "at" to schedule the job initially, and
then have it reschedule itself for two weeks time.  You probably
want it to email you a reminder that it's rescheduled itself too...

Actually, I like the first one a lot, since you could also use it
for every second day, month, ...

Actually, a generic "wrapper" could even be made to run the task
every <arbitrary number> of days/weeks/years/...

Tony
--
Tony Landells					<ahl@austclear.com.au>
Senior Network Engineer				Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319