Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 2013 11:05:48 +0200
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it>
To:        hiren panchasara <hiren.panchasara@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: netmap: traffic distribution

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 10:53 AM, hiren panchasara
<hiren.panchasara@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 1:22 AM, Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 10:07 AM, hiren panchasara
>> <hiren.panchasara@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > I am providing line rate traffic (via pkg-gen.c) to my 10gig ix
>> > interface.
>> >
>> > Now on receiving side, is there a way to sub-divide the traffic into
>> > multiple workloads using netmap?
>> >
>> > For example, can I get two 5G flows from 10Gbps traffic?
>>
>> not directly. You'd need to send packets with different addresses that
>> match
>> the way the filters on the NIC (RSS or similar) are programmed.
>

> Thanks for quick responses, Liugi.
>
> So, FreeBSD needs PF_RING like thing? Any other way we can do it?

no,
PF_RING does nothing more than netmap.

the partitioning of traffic into queues is done by the NIC's hardware,
through some filters that i mentioned and are NIC specific.
They are often named RSS (receive side scaling), RFS (receive flow steering),
Flow Director,  and so on. Some NICs compute a hash of various header fields
and use the result to direct packets to specific queues. Others have
"exact match" filters where you can map certain mac headers to
specific queues, and so on.

A software demultiplexer that sits on top of a netmap ring
may certainly be useful, but i have not yet designed it.

cheers
luigi