Date:      Wed, 14 Nov 2001 18:20:15 +0100 (CET)
From:      Krzysztof Zaraska <kzaraska@student.uci.agh.edu.pl>
To:        Rob Hurle <rob@coombs.anu.edu.au>
Cc:        Stefan Probst <stefan.probst@opticom.v-nam.net>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adore worm

On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Rob Hurle wrote:

> People advise ssh, but I notice that this particular attack also has a new
> version of ssh to install, so I don't know about that.
This may be done for two reasons:
1. To install a version of sshd that is not vulnerable to CRC attack
2. To install a trojaned version of sshd that contains a backdoor allowing
remote root access, e.g. based on username.

The second possibility looks more probable to me.

My PLN 0.02

Regards,
Krzysztof