Date:      Sat, 17 Feb 2001 14:53:35 +0100
From:      Len Conrad <LConrad@Go2France.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can't boot 4.2R

>I've never has such problem in the past, so my wild guess would be:
>
>1) wrong disk geometry? (very likely considering how old your drive
>is)

no, 768 cyl, 14 hd, 62 cyl

>2) Some very weird disk

seagate ST3390A

>  with very weird bios ( i doubt that this is the case)

me, neither

>3) Wrong install procedure

how many install procedures are there with FreeBSD 4.2R?

>For number 1: Try getting some real values for the drive C/H/S.

they are correct as displayed in the system BIOS bootup screen

>  I guess the drive is not working in LBA mode?

no

>I cannot suggest anything particular, but you
>might try playing with the drive MODE and REAL/BIOS values for C/H/S when
>installing FreeBSD.
>
>As for number 2: get something newer and more standard nowadays

seagate ST3390A is old but not exotic.  In the compaq prolinea 466,
it ran FreeBSD 4.2 just fine.

In fact, when I put took this old drive out of the prolinea and into
the P133 case, I tried to boot with the FreeBSD that was there, and
got the same F1 F2 F3 menu, and same symptom:  hit F1, see a quick
disk access, and a beep, but no error msg or chance of progress.

The OS is there but I just can't get past the booting.

>As For number3: when in fdisk DO NOT PRESS 'W". Just create a slice (
>which is what dos calls partition), make it a real partition (not
>dedicated), then just press 'Q' in label editor create all FBSD
>partions and press
>Q again.

I've done that.

>Installer should do the job automaticcaly. Again, watch out for the
>disk geometry.

disk geo looks ok.

I guess I'll have to find another disk.

thanks,