Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2001 14:30:23 -0500
From:      dochawk@psu.edu
To:        Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: keeping a system in use during a complete rebuild?

ryan reasoned,

> Richard E. Hawkins wrote to freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> > I am becoming increasingly suspicious that my installation took
> > some damage while the mainboard was failing.  I have seen, among
> > other things, log files with garbage characters, as well as the
> > general strange behavior.

> I assume you have replaced the mb, and ensured that your hardware is
> operating correctly now? You will definitely want to make sure of that
> before spending the time to rebuild/reinstall everything.

IBM claims so :)  they swapped it.

> > Is this doable?  will I regret it?

> This would be the HARD way, and you would probably regret it. For most
> all build operations, you can run "make" or "make all", which will
> compile the relevant sources to an object directory. Just don't make
> the "install" target until you're ready to go (and it is recommended
> that you drop to single user mode prior to running installworld).

world doesn't worry me much, save that I'm no longer convinced that it
is occuring properly.   Among other things, des_cript ends up missing,
and the system tells me at times that I"m not a US_RESIDENT--though
this is setin /etc/make.conf

I'm also getting weird sound results, apparent attempts to load the
linux module after it's already loaded, and a couple of other weird
events.

> You can upgrade most all ports on a running system without any
> worries. Check out the portupgrade port|package to make life easy.

That's where this mess started :)  Portupgrade no longer works, and
/usr/ports/INSTALL.db and .rbs are gone and won't come back.

whoa, hold on. A little dinkin here, and a little there, and suddenly,
after days of fighting, portsdb -uU is actually doing something!  I may
be home free!  Yeehah!

hawk, who now sees that sacrificing the bunny *did* pay off . . .

--
What part of "non-negotiable" didn't you understand? /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
dochawk@psu.edu  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700           \ /   against HTML mail