Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 14:48:17 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Bzdik BSD <bzdik@yahoo.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        bruce@perens.com
Subject:   Re: Perens Replies (was Ivan Leybovich)

At 12:58 PM 6/13/2001, Bzdik BSD wrote:

>Name: Bruce Perens
>Email: bruce@perens.com
>Location: Berkeley, CA, USA
>Occupation: Strategist for HP, and Open Source Evangelist
>
>BSD licensing is a failing business plan for the developer. It's only a
>good business plan for someone who wants to take that developer's work
>without paying for it.

Unlike the GPL, which lets anyone use that developer's work without
paying for it. Big diff.... Hey, waitamminnit. ;-)

Oh, and because users can get the functionality for free, any developer
who licenses the code from the original developer for use in a commercial
product is paying money for something whose market value has been reduced
to zero. Not a wise move.

Also, remember that GPLed additions to the original code that are
contributed by third parties are not covered by the license. So the
licensee usually cannot get the most up-to-date code.

In short, this is a failing business plan both for the original developer
(who will rarely get takers... they have to be real suckers) and for the
licensing developer (who has made a bad -- probably fatal -- business
decision).

>In contrast, HP is currently negotiating a
>commercial license with a GPL developer. Since the GPL doesn't allow
>integration of his work into the proprietary (non-Linux) product where
>we needed it, we had to go to him and negotiate another license.

Glad to see, Bruce, that you're advocating something that's very much
against your own employer's best interests. Does Ms. Fiorina know that
you're advocating something that both hurts HP and unnecessarily
costs it money?

> If
>he'd used the BSD license, we would not have needed to do that.

And HP would have saved money. That HP would hire you to
work against its own best interests is proof that large
companies often act foolishly.

>By the way, I did ask Brian Behlendorf, but he was on vacation and
>could not respond in time. He said later that he would have signed.

How convenient.

--Brett